Both Federal and State Wage/Hour Laws are a constant source of problems to employers due to their complexity and costliness of the violations. In fact the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), together with the NJ Wage and Hour and Wage Payment laws, account for the majority of labor law violations committed by employers.
This program is designed to familiarize you with the major, and sometimes difficult to understand, provisions of these laws. You will learn common pitfalls to avoid enabling you to make proper overtime payments, determine employees’ exempt status, establish what is working time and what isn’t and learn how to make only lawful deductions from an employee’s paycheck.
Some of the topics to be covered include:
• Exempt v. Nonexempt Classifications
• What constitutes “Working Time”; the importance of keeping accurate records
• Obligation to pay overtime compensation for unauthorized work
• Paying for “out of sight work”
• “Docking” employees for lateness and “rounding off” on timecards
• Paid Time Off
• Misclassifying employees and payroll deductions: common mistakes
Amy Vazquez, EANJ
EANJ Training Room
30 West Mt. Pleasant Avenue
Livingston, NJ 07039 Click here for directions to the EANJ Training Room - Google Map Directions
$75 per person (EANJ Member)
$95 per person (Non-Member)
9am-12noon - Registration begins at 8:30am.
Substitutions are permitted, however, in order to meet program commitments, cancellations made less than two (2) working days before the program date or “no-shows” must be charged the full registration fee.
HRCI Credits Pending