The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has published a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. After January 22, 2017 only the version dated 11/14/2016 N will be acceptable. Until then, Employers may continue to use the earlier version dated 03/08/2013 N or use the new version.
The changes are designed to reduce errors and enhance form completion using a computer and do not substantially change any information which is being collected.
- drop-down lists and calendars for filling in dates,
- on-screen instructions for each field,
- easy access to the full instructions,
- the ability to enter multiple preparers and translators,
- a dedicated area for including additional information rather than having to add it in the margins and
- an option to clear the form and start over.
The instructions have been separated from the form and are more extensive. The USCIS has also indicated that a new M-274 Handbook for Employers will be published in January 2017. For more information, visit I9 Central.
EANJ will be running an I-9 Workshop on January 11, 2017.