On Jan. 31, 2020, USCIS announced a new version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. This new version contains minor changes to the form and its instructions. Employers should begin using this updated form as of Jan. 31, 2020.
Employers may continue using the prior version of the form (Rev. 07/17/2017 N) until April 30, 2020. After that date, they can only use the new form with the 10/21/2019 version date. The version date is located in the lower left corner of the form.
The changes to the form relate to the fillable Form I-9 which can be completed on a computer. In Section 1, the issuing authority field and in section 2 noting changes to names of countries.
The revisions to the instructions include:
• Clarification of who can act as an authorized representative on behalf of an employer
• Updated USCIS website addresses
• Provided clarifications on acceptable documents for Form I-9
• Updated the process for requesting paper Forms I-9
• Updated the DHS Privacy Notice
Register now for half day session: Employer Immigration Compliance: I-9s and Beyond